Friday, March 07, 2008

The Great Kitchen Re-do!

This winter I have been a busy worker bee making my new kitchen pretty as a picture. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let the Before and Afters show you what I've been up to!

This is what the kitchen looked like when we moved into Grandpa's old house.

We took out the table, and I painted the walls a pretty robin's egg blue, then painted out the trim and baseboards. The old rocker was my mum's first auction find when she was my age, the cookbook shelves are a couple of old pear crates, and I made an apron holder for my collection. The fella also welded the lampshade, and I covered it.

The main kitchen when we moved in.
It was very dark, so my priority was lightening it up - lots.


I painted out all the cupboard doors (over thirty of them!), sewed up a new curtain, and found an antique table at an auction to use as an island.

A lot can be done with a lick (or two!) of paint, and the only big costs in the re-do were the new soft vinyl floors, and the vent hood. The old floor had a great big scorch mark on it, and the old vent hood no longer worked so they were a must-do. I have to say that I am so very glad it's all done! It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. I may just never leave the kitchen again :)

3 comments:

Dalyn said...

wow- that looks SO good. I love it. Huge difference. Great job!

nashbabe said...

Paint, tile, lovely table island...my kitchen would like to be yours when it grows up. :-)

Amy said...

wow! the kitchen is gorgeous!